[Lazarus] Settings contained in a "Desktop"

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:49:44 CEST 2015

The new desktops feature contains :
- IDE Window state and position + size
- Window page settings in environment options
- Completion window size
- IDE Coolbar settings
- Editor Toolbar settings
- Component palette settings

See details in procedure TDesktopOpt.Save.

Environment options had a page called "Desktop" which I have now
renamed to "General" to avoid confusion.
It has Export/Import feature (was Save/Load) which contains all the
settings above + the following :
- Version of Lazarus and EnvOpts
- Language settings
- Auto save settings
- Form editor settings
- Project inspector settings
- Package editor settings
- Hints settings
- Messages view settings
- Glyphs settings
- Recent files and directories
- External tools settings
- Naming convention settings
- FpDoc path
- New items templates
- Object inspector settings
- IDEEditorGroups (?)

See details in procedure TEnvironmentOptions.Save.

The old Desktop (now General) export format is XML with an *.lds suffix.
It was meant for the same purpose as the new Desktops feature, but it
has limitations and I don't think it is very widely used.

The "Desktops ..." window will have its own Export/Import. See :

Now the question is what should be contained in a "Desktop". The old
"Desktop" clearly had too many things.
The new "Desktop" has too few things, at least these should be
included I think :
- Language settings
- Object inspector settings

Multiple editor windows should also be handled better.

Another question: what should the old Export/Import (now in "General" page) do?
Should it do all environment options? Now the following settings are left out :
- Files settings
- Primary-config verification
- Global build options
- Backup
- Debugger

See details in procedure TEnvironmentOptions.SaveNonDesktop.

Regards,
Juha