[Lazarus] Selectable desktops in Lazarus IDE

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 22:07:22 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:48 PM, luiz americo pereira camara
<luizmed at oi.com.br> wrote:
> Can you elaborate a bit about the feature?

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention even where the GUI is. It can be
opened from Tools -> Desktops ...
The idea is the same as Delphi has had for a long time. Their GUI is
at the right side of main menu items, on top of the menubar.
The cross-platform main menu in Lazarus would not allow putting it
there, and it is not a good place anyway.
Ondrej noted that the Delphi's solution does not let you select
desktops without mouse. The new Lazarus solution does because there is
a new IDE command which can be mapped to a key combination.

So what belongs to a "desktop"? List of open IDE windows and their
positions + sizes, IDE coolbar configuration, component palette
configuration, editor toolbar configuration.
This feature also changed the format of environmentoptions.xml file.
Settings belonging to a desktop are now under <desktop> tag.
Reading the old format is supported obviously.

I think it pretty much solves this issue :

Juha