[Lazarus] Tracking software useage

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Jul 23 18:40:34 CEST 2015

On 07/23/2015 12:42 AM, Richard Mace wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am really interested in tracking how many people are using my software and was
> wondering what people that would be a good and ethical way of doing it. Any
> thoughts?

quite many "call home" packages are quickly removed over here unless they are
extremely important and required... in those cases, they are blocked from making
the call... this mainly because of privacy concerns... it is no one's business
when someone executes a program or how long they are running it or other metrics
that may be divined from certain "call home" connections... in some areas of the
world, the use of timestamps in messaging is illegal because of the possibility
of tracking when someone may be at home or work...

if you really desire this information, make it configurable so that those who
don't care can enable it if they like... it should be disabled by default, though...