[Lazarus] Is Lazarus FPC compatible to RAD XE5?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 11:23:49 CEST 2015

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 00:55:35 -0700, aradeonas
<aradeonas at operamail.com> wrote:

>and devlopers here will help you.they are always a BIG help for me.

One of my main resons for searching for an alternative is the complete
lack of support on the Embarcadero products. Onece upon a time when
Borland ran the show things were different, there was a *working* news
system later converted to both web forum and news at the same time.
Here one could get quick P2P help and occational help from Borland
staff too.

Now since more than a year the forum/newsserver is completely trashed.
It is on line maybe5-6 hours a day and only about 5 days a week. One
never knows when it goes away. :(
And because of this the number of active members is dwindling a lot...
Right now when I write this it has been off for 2 days.

So this statement of yours about P2P help is really very promising!

When you talk about conversion tools, is there also some form of dproj
project file conversion utility?

That would really help a lot, because the project files in the XE
series (dproj) are very hard to understand compared to the old dpr
files, even RAD XE(N) cannot completely convert/read a dproj from
XE(N-1) or earlier. It pretends to do so but the result does not work
as intended very often.

So I had to start a new VCL project when I did the Unicode conversion
(UTF8 is what I used) and then add all the sources to that project and
set the various properties like search paths and such manually...

In the end it did work whereas the autocreated dproj from opening the
old projct file never did.

I will have a look around here and see what gives, I was here back in
2005 and again in 2010 but those times for other reasons, mainly to
try to create multi-platform programs (Windows, Linux and Arm
embedded).

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden