[Lazarus] Ways of making new style design

Thu Jun 18 12:17:54 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-18 10:26, aradeonas wrote:
> Imagine a desktop app that UI (graphic,animation and other stuff)
> written in HTML, CSS and JS and working with internet,file,system native
> menus and dialogs come from FreePascal.

I don't have to imagine it - I've already seen developers do that with
Kylix 3. They developed a commercial framework do design application UI
with the help of a web browser engine. The released a CHM-like help
viewer as a free example. Some of the UI was built with the Gecko
(browser) engine. It was low, memory hungry and huge to deploy (all the
runtime libraries, browser engine etc). No thank you. DocView is 1MB,
very low memory and very fast.

Github Inc (Atom project) and Microsoft (Visual Studio Code project)
have also done similar in recent times - creating a programmer editor
with the Chromium browser at the heard of the desktop application.
Again, massive, not very fast, and complex build system (can only
comment on open source projects of course). EditPad Pro is a fraction of
the size, uses MUCH less memory and with a lot more feature.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/