[Lazarus] I have some custom components, can I convert Delphi -> Lazarus?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 16:36:48 CEST 2015

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:34:32 +0200, Michael Schnell
<mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

>On 06/16/2015 06:14 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Being open source and allowing me to customise things the way I like
>> is a brilliant feature.
>He also wants to use closed source 3rd party stuff and want to impose
>copy protection to his projects. All that is rather queer with an open
>source IDE.

This is unfair!
We had a PhD hired for 8 years to complete the data analysis and
presentation software for tomographic analysis. He was brilliant at
his science but not so good at programming, I have discovered.
Now I need to maintain the software suite while we try to get back the
investment.
Doing so with Embarcadero's software is progressively harder all the
time due to their miserable support policy.

That is why I am investigating the possibilities to port the
applications to FPC and Lazarus. Should it be possible then I will
probably have to spend a number of months doing it (hopefully less).'
But in the end we still need the dongled protection because the
package is a scientific analysis software suite and it is sold in
maybe 100 copies yearly.

The dongles ensure we at least get paid from official customers.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the way the developmemnt is
done or which compiler is used.

Back to my technical discussion:
Concerning Safenet I tried to access their support portal (which I
have used frequently in the past) only to discover that they have
moved to a new portal and apparently NOT migrated the registered
users...
So now I have to wait a while for my login to be created before I can
ask for FreePascal support.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden