[Lazarus] OOP - where do you start?

Vincenzo Campanella vinz65 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:20:49 CEST 2015

Il 26.06.2015 13:30, Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Last night I was working on a relatively new project. This got me
> thinking... How do others tackle such a task?
>
> So here is my question:
>
>    When faced with a new database related project, where do you start? Do
> you first design the database schema, then build the BOM (Business
> Objects) accordingly? Or, do you first design the BOM, then design the
> database schema to fit.
>
> Personally, most of my project were started by first creating the
> database schema. Don't ask me why, that is just what I did. Maybe it was
> because many of the tools I use, can write much of the boiler plate code
> for me, and they do that by querying a database structure. But I've been
> thinking that with my next project, I'm going to start with the BOM
> first, and see how it goes. I'm assuming the end result should be the
> same, no matter which part I tackled first.
>
> What's your thoughts?
>
> Regards,
>    - Graeme -

Hi Graeme

I normally start designing the database, then comes the BOM, and then I
start developing the UI with its functions and procedures; during this
process, the database normally gets slightly revised and completed with
stored procedures, views and triggers. Last, but not least, I develop
the reports (that is the part I love least).

But I think this is a matter of personal choice.

Best regards
vince