[Lazarus] MariaDB access - modifying the MySQL56Connection component

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jun 28 11:35:51 CEST 2015

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015, Susie Nicol wrote:

> Hi
>
> This question has obviously been asked many times before, but I am having trouble dealing with the answers.
>
> I run MariaDB, rather than MYSQL, using OpenSUSE 13.2, with Lazarus 1.4, Free Pascal 2.6.4, downloaded from Sourceforge. I have the usual issue getting a database connection: "TMySQL56Connection can
> not work with the installed MySQL client version: Expected (5.6), got (10.0.13-MariaDB)"
>
> There's a diff associated with the bug report at http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=26620 which I have attempted to apply, without success.
>
> What I tried was:
>
>  - patch /usr/share/fpsrc/2.6.4/packages/fcl-db/src/sqldb/mysql/mysqlconn.inc as in the diff
>  - rebuilt, using the Makefile in that directory
>  - within Lazarus, rebuilt the IDE.
>
> This hasn't achieved anything. I get the same error, which presumably means I have missed out some steps.
>
> I'm starting to find the documentation wiki "a mass of twisted passages, all alike". Is there a simple explanation of what I have missed?

Compiling is not enough. Did you install the .ppu ?

Several ways are possible:

1. The clean way
    That is, in /usr/share/fpsrc/2.6.4/packages/fcl-db you should run "make install", as root.
    But that may lead to other problems since you will have newer .ppu's of all

2. find the newly generated mysql56conn.ppu and mysql56conn.o, and just copy these over the installed version

And then rebuild lazarus.

The simplest solution may be to:
3. Simply copy 2 files: mysql56conn.pp and mysqlconn.inc from /usr/share/fpsrc/2.6.4/packages/fcl-db/src/sqldb/mysql  to your project's directory.
    Recompile your project.
    You will then not be able to make the connection in the lazarus form designer, but the compiled program should then work.

Michael.