[Lazarus] Package dialog ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Mar 24 19:35:49 CET 2015

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 17:13:10 +0100 (CET)
> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>> If you remove the dependency A-B, then there is probably a reason for
>>> that. For example A no longer works with B.
>>
>> Yes, but A still depends on C.
>
> And if not?

If you read the explanation carefully, you'll see that that was a given.

>> If the only link from A to C is through B, then removing B will result in a missing dependency.
>
> The "clean up" function does not remove the A-B.

Euh ? I didn't say that ?

I was trying to explain why I think that removing the explicit C dependency
(which the dialog proposes to do) is potentially harmful at a later stage.

> The "clean up" function transforms one valid state into another valid
> state. And it shows what it will do and the programmer decides if
> this is good or not. There is no force or automatism.

I didn't say that either :)

> There is nothing wrong with your policy to list all dependencies.
> Don't force your policy on others.

? I don't want to.

>From what I've seen till now, this dialog seems useless (and potentially harmful) to me.
But like I already stated, there may be uses that I am unaware of, which could justify the
existence of this dialog even for me. (for instance, it could start comparing actual used units)

Anyway, the discussion was about the package dialog.
The dependencies is another matter entirely.

Michael.