[Lazarus] Processing TCoolBar child by IDE

Vojtěch Čihák vojtech.cihak at atlas.cz
Mon May 11 16:18:01 CEST 2015

Hi,

developing TCoolBar wasn't easy, one must deal with LCL austosizing mechanism, which is very sophisticated.
I know that in design-time is not band-height recalculated immediately. The reason is mainly I wanted to do CoolBar
efficient and avoid redundant recalculation (LCL triggers many resize events).

I understand you, it would be nice to have it perfect (panel will resize band and band will resize panel).
However, I wouldn't like to make big changes to design of TCoolBar, I happy it works and is stable :-).

BTW did you try TControlBar? Maybe it will suite you better.

> Od: "Michael W. Vogel" <m-w-vogel at gmx.de>
> Komu: <lazarus at lists.lazarus.freepascal.org>
> Datum: 11.05.2015 15:00
> Předmět: [Lazarus] Processing TCoolBar child by IDE

Hi,

I have a question / feature request for a TCoolBar at designtime and Lazarus IDE.

If I assign a control (e.g. TPanel) to a TCoolBar, a TCoolBand according to the dimensions of TPanels is created. Thats fine! If I change now the dimension of that control (at designtime), at runtime, the width of the TCoolBand got the width of the TCoolBand and the height got the height of
the control.

There are two features, what would be nice to have:

If the height of a TCoolBand child control is changed, the IDE should show the identical height at designtime, like at runtime.
If the width of a TCoolBand child control is changed, the width of the TCoolBand should also be changed.

As a workaround, you can move the control from the TCoolBand to a other parent, delete the TCoolBand and move the control back to the TCoolBar. Then a TCoolBand with the correct dimensions is created.

PS: I know, that the width can be changed by the user at runtime, so that a differentiation of designtime and runtime has to be made.

Hope, you understand my poor English.

Michael