[Lazarus] Q: Compiler features as a service to Lazarus

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:09:25 CET 2015

Am 24.11.2015 10:05 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:

> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015, Anthony Walter wrote:
>
>> I have a tangential question related to Sven's new generic features and
>> thought it deserved its own thread.
>

> [snip]
>

>> **This tutorial demonstrates how to use the editor services provided by
the
>> compiler. This API is used to provide auto-complete, tool-tips, parameter
>> info help, matching of brackets and other functions in editors including
>> Visual Studio, Xamarin Studio and Emacs.**
>>
>> http://fsharp.github.io/FSharp.Compiler.Service/editor.html
>>
>> If they can do it, why can't we?
>

> Because 1. We don't want to.
>    The amount of work needed to accomplish that is prohibitive.
>    The compiler structure is currently entirely unsuitable for this
purpose.

> 2. The codetools continue to work even if the sources do not compile.
>    Not always, but often.
>    This is simply not possible if you use the compiler itself.
>
> And I think you highly exaggerate the amount of time it takes for Mattias
to enable new features in the IDE codetools. If he is aware of a new
feature, it generally is added to the IDE very quickly.

> On the whole, I tend to see the current situation as a plus, rather than
a minus.

Plus there are no services of the compiler you could ask. The compiler is
highly integrated and not even the textmode IDE - which has the compiler
statically compiled - in can do this.

Regards,
Sven