[Lazarus] FPC Pestering Peacock (3.0.0) release

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 20:02:04 CET 2015

Wow, that is a great release. Two major things for me:

1. I had a bug in my 3D world editor for some time now that i couldn't
spot. Turns out, i was accessing the fields of a direct getter property
(property Foo: TSomeStruct read FFoo...) that in 2.6.4 most of the time it
worked but now and then it accessed garbage. The code looked right (this
might be a negative for property syntax looking exactly like variable field
syntax...) so i never focused on that bit. But 3.0.0 refused to compile it
and once i changed it, the bug went away.

2. The editor's lightmapper seems to be between 3 to 3.5 times faster! Of
course having said that, it is really unoptimized and a lot of the slowness
in 2.6.4 seemed to be from FPC inserting tons of calls to "hidden" methods
so probably the speed up came from optimizing the usage of those (i haven't
investigated why it is faster, i just report it - besides i plan to rewrite
the lightmapper anyway since it is a prototype that outlived its purpose
for almost four years :-P but in the meanwhile the performance boost is
very welcome).

And above all (since i was very skeptic when hearing about all the changes
in 3.0.0), beyond the #1 case (which was an error anyway) i didn't had to
change anything in my codebase - it compiled right out of the box :-).

Thanks :-)