[Lazarus] Building and starting Lazarus on Raspberry Pi2 with Raspbian Jessie

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 22:13:17 CEST 2015

I am creating this thread to move away my Lazarus build questions from
the thread I was in recently, where it is really OT.

I was able to build both FPC (3.1.1 trunk from svn) and Lazarus (v 1.5
svn 50023 trunk from svn) using the writeup in this webpage:
http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/raspberry-pi/install-lazarus-pascal-on-raspberry-pi-2
However it became apparent that something was wrong since I did not
get to the pi home dir when saving stuff, instead it wound up in
/root. THe webpage instructions started with sudo su and never did an
exit so all of it was done using root.

Now I am trying to rectify that and I have done the following on
advice here:
1) Disable the existing Lazarus install by renaming the folder:
sudo mv /usr/local/share/lazarus /usr/local/share/lazarus_old

2) Create a folder /home/pi/development
3) Check out lazarus trunk into subdir development/lazarus (got svn
50059 this time)

4) Reconfigure Pi to boot to the command line interface to save memory
and reboot.

5) Go to ~/development/lazarus and run:
time make bigide
This completes in about 17 minutes

6) Start tightvncserver and log on to the GUI via VNC
7) Now try to run Lazarus...

This is where it falls apart. The Lazarus entry on the Menu is of
course non-working since the rename in step 1.

So using the main menu editor I added a new Lazarus entry into the
Programming submenu by navigating to the startlazarus file inside the
lazarus dir. So far so good. Except there is no Lazarus icon...

When starting from the new menu entry I got a dialog asking me if I
had moved Lazarus and wanted to transfer the local settings to this
new Lazarus, which I accepted. Next dialog regarding location of
sources etc I also accepted.
Then when the IDE was to start I got an error dialog saying:

Error in EditorMacroScript
The package EditorMacroScript (pascalscript macros)
has detected a problem and was deactivated.
The package failed its selftest with the message:
"Failed getstr2 [Ext
p: "456" / Got: "abc"]"

There was only an OK button so I hit that and Lazarus showed.
It even loaded my last project. Which compiled and ran fine! :)

What is the deal here? Is this an error that should be resolved by me
by starting over from scratch again (6th time this week) with a clean
SDcard?  :(
Or is it unimportant and can be solved in a different way? Which?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden