[Lazarus] "Checkbox for Booleans" in Object Inspector now used as default

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 21:57:43 CEST 2015

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 2:57 AM, Anthony Walter <sysrpl at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I've noticed about gtk versions of the inspector is the lagginess
> of the inspector when mouse dragging with the left button pressed. It would
> seem that with each inspector property change (ie. changing which property
> is being edited) leads a significant delay (a few hundred milliseconds)
> caused by hiding->moving->showing the inplace editor many times a second.

Maybe the delay is hundreds of milliseconds in a slow machine. Here it
is much less.
I tried to find a situation where this delay would slow down my
work-flow. There is no such situation. I can move the mouse as quickly
as I want. Update of some intermediate properties is skipped but it
does not matter.
Finally when I stop the mouse, editor of the selected property gets updated.
How could it work better?

Creation of property editor controls is already optimized.
There is only one control of each type, namely Edit, Combobox and Checkbox.
Only their position and visibility are changed.

> This could be lagginess could be eliminated entirely by not attempting to
> show the inplace editor until after a timer has expired. For example, detect
> that the last inplace editor was created 100 milliseconds ago, so don't try
> to show the next inplace editor. Rather wait for 200ms after the a previous
> inplace editor was selected before showing the next inplace editor. If a new
> property was selected before the 200ms, then reset the timer to 0 and start
> it again.

Ok, it could be optimized more although I don't see any big need for it.
If you come up with a patch without negative side-effects then I think
it can be applied.

Regards,
Juha