[Lazarus] High-DPI aware LCL ?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Oct 7 10:25:03 CEST 2015

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:

> On 07.10.2015 00:09, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Out of curiosity:
>>
>> Are there any plans to make the LCL (and by extension the IDE itself)
>> High-DPI aware?
>> Working on a Macbook Pro with retina screen (running kubuntu) is OK if you
>> only need to edit code, but
>> as soon as you need to use buttons (any toolbutton or even component
>> palette button), it becomes very difficult. The editor toolbar is next to
>> useless on high DPI.
>>
>> Michael.
>
> I do write High-DPI aware LCL application with Lazarus without problems.
> The IDE itself should at some point in the future support it as well (IMO by
> default, without any extension). But I don't know if there are some plans
> about it.
> I haven't bought a 4K display because of High-DPI problems in Delphi and
> Lazarus IDEs.

Would you mind elaborating on this ?

I wrote an app which is DPI aware (as per the instructions on the Lazarus wiki).

It worked on Linux, Windows 7. Then someone ran it on Windows 8 and 10,
and those versions of Windows did something which completely messed up
the DPI awareness. I believe it has something to do with the manifest,
but I didn't have time to investigate it yet :(

Michael.