[Lazarus] Theoretical question about future of Lazarus

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:00:26 CEST 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:13:53 +0300, Juha Manninen
<juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is that version 1.5?
>
>Yes.
>
>> This is what I got when I followed an installation guide for putting
>> FPC/Lazarus on a Raspberry Pi2 (ARM Cortex 7).
>> Help/About says FPC 3.1.1 and Lazarus 1.5 (SVN 50023)
>>
>> If this is the beeding edge should I worry???
>
>No worries! Trunk works pretty well now.
>
>How many seconds does Lazarus take to start in Raspberry Pi2? The
>startup was sped up before 1.4 release, it has most effect in low-end
>machines.

Just measured it:
>From the Menu/Programming/Lazarus click to when Lazarus is on the
screen with the last project loaded: 7 s

>How long does it take to build Lazarus? For example :
> $  time make clean bigide

I cannot give a definite answer here even though I have done about 4-5
full clean installs on different size SDcards over the week-end.
But after the svn was done fetching sources and FPC was compiled I did
this to Lazarus:

# cd /usr/local/lazarus/source
# make all OPT=-dFPC_ARMHF
# make install OPT=-dFPC_ARMHF PREFIX=/usr/local

I had set swap to 1000MB and I had configured the Pi to boot to the
command line rather than the GUI for the FPC/Lazarus build operations.

I would say that it took upwards of an hour to do the make. But I went
out for coffee during the make operation, I should really have put it
into a shelscript with a command to save a timestamp into a file at
the start and end of the operation.
Will do so the next time around.

But that might perhaps not be what you asked?

Both FPC and Lazarus sources are retrieved as trunk from svn.

Oh, I see now that you invoke a make not as root! Are you supposed to
be able to build Lazarus (and FPC) as a non-priviliged user?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden