[Lazarus] Video: Color Picker ... and a question

Tue Oct 20 10:46:48 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-18 09:47, Anthony Walter wrote:
> rather it is showing an application window and bringing it to the
> foreground when your application isn't the active graphical application.

Unlike Windows, X11 applications do not have much say in anything
related to an application window (size, position, modal etc). They are
at the mercy of the Window Manager. Applications under X11 simply
request (ask for) position, size, modal, focus etc, but it is no
guarantee they will get it, it is up to the Window Manager to decide if
those requests are successful or not.

Generally, X11 is a lot less annoying than Windows, so you don't
(easily) get pop-to-front, system modal etc ability. Such functionality
is considered rude, and why X11 frowns upon it. That is life, and I find
it refreshing.

Some desktop environments will flash the taskbar icon - if a taskbar
exists in the desktop environment at all. Some applications will use a
notification window, or System Tray icon to draw attention. Anything
more, and it is the luck of the draw - no guarantee.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/