[Lazarus] Cross-compiling for Raspberry Pi2

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:27:06 CEST 2015

On 22/09/15 10:43, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2015-09-22 at 11:28, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> Delphi/Lazarus enabled software and "makes the difference"
>> that makes using such programming systems desirable over "legacy"
>> programming methods.
>

> Now you are approaching “dangerous” territory.  :-)  Just because Delphi
> and Lazarus promotes the idea of RAD development - definitely doesn’t
> mean you should.

RAD might not just mean 'drag a component from the palette to a form' ;)
In some sense, even the (responsibly applied) OOP paradigm leads to (more) rapid (program) development...

> If you want to develop any easy to maintain application over a long
> term - definitely DO NOT USE RAD style development. This was proven
> over and over. RAD is only good for prototyping or small utility apps.

Mmmm, from your own garden ;)
Aren't you making the tiOPF designer and framework for that purpose actually?

> There is no substitute for well designed code - like when using the
> well documented (tried and tested) Design Patterns, or well separated
> code (UI layer, Storage layer, Business rules).

True, that.

> Designing a Service or Daemon application without TTimer  usage
> definitely doesn't mean it is “bad” or “legacy” coding style. It might
> just mean you are not using RAD style development. Nothing wrong with
> that!

Sometimes I want it to 'just work' and be based on well known and understood code base,
or just have no time to develop the intricacies of low-level e.g. timer handling stuff...
and/or agree to the price of being limited by the 'underlying libraries'.
Or find that when used the prototype it 'works well enough' for us (thanks to all the
optimization & fixes from the Teams of Lazarus and FPC). (it actually means 'works amazingly')
Or just don't want to reinvent the wheel for the gazilionth time...

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

el es