[Lazarus] Can some fix this "make" issue? Pi related.

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 06:39:15 CEST 2016

I believe this problem effects a lot of people using the Raspberry Pi, and
possibly other platforms as well.

The problem:

Recently I been using "make all" on Lazarus sources, or trying to rebuild
the IDE, such as when installing or removing packages, and experiencing
build fails.

This will happen on the Raspberry Pi when 128MB or more memory is assigned
to the GPU, a setting which must be configured to allow for video playback
and/or GLES to run on the Pi. For those of you not experiencing this issue
you may have left the GPU size at its default 64MB setting.

When a system such as the Pi has less than 700MB (approximately) of free
memory the "make all" or rebuilding the IDE task will fail with errors such
as" switching to an external resource compiler" or some other mysterious
message.

Temporarily lowering the GPU memory, rebooting the computer, rebuilding
Lazarus, changing the GPU memory back, then rebooting the computer again
fixes the problem, but this is a very awkward solution. This is especially
awkward considering you may need to do this anytime you want to add or
remove component in Lazarus under the conditions I've described.

My question is can someone look into this issue so that building Lazarus in
environments where free memory is than 700MB does not result in Lazarus
build failures?