[Lazarus] Pretty neat stuff Lazarus

Alan Corey alan01346 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 03:10:41 CEST 2016

I ignored the help issues for now and opened my trusty Delphi 3 on my
laptop for reference.  Cranked out my first program in a couple hours.
It was 20 megs until I turned optimization on and debugging off, then
it went down to a little over 4.  The C command line version is about
8 K, but oh well.

Installing and running as root seems to present a strange problem in
that when I rebuild the IDE it doesn't write the new version to
/root/.lazarus/lazarus, it stays in /usr/local/bin.  I'll figure it
out.  So that's why adding packages and rebuilding seemed to not work,
because I had lazarus-ide in my rxvt menu but the new versions were
ending up as /usr/local/bin/lazarus and I wasn't using them.
Rebuilding the real thing while I was running it crashed big time.

New questions:  Can I use my Deplhi 3 help files?  These are old-style
.hlp files, not .chm.  How can I change my help browser from Opera?
Firefox thinks it's default but Opera keeps getting called somehow.
The problem with it is that since it's not open source I'm actually
running a Linux binary under Linux emulation, which is slow.

I saw the illegal character error only once, doing a clean and build
got around it.

Now to try compiling this into an apk file...

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX