[Lazarus] Xamarin becomes free and open-source

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Apr 1 09:43:42 CEST 2016

On 03/31/2016 08:30 PM, Anthony Walter wrote:
> I thought this was newsworthy and of interest to us:
Am I wrong feeling that the (IMHO rather viable) CIL (aka".Net")
initiative, once launched by Microsoft is declining due to the
ubiquitous rise of Java  ?

In fact Microsoft took Silverlight to grave,  recently I did not hear
much about Mono and Moonlight,

Open sourcing Xamarin to me seems just a sign that nobody can earn any
money with same, so it's just another indication of the thesis.

The fpc community never seemed to have much interest for CIL
(Embarcadero started two questionable attempts with "Delphi for .Net"
and the acquisition of Oxygen).

fpc instead seems to be rather far into creating Java/Dalvik Byte/Word code

-Michael