[Lazarus] German umlauts in component names

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Tue Apr 5 18:55:21 CEST 2016

Il 02/04/2016 10:14, Special ha scritto:
> How can I use names with German Umlauts and 'ß' in the Name Field of
> TButton components? For instance, I try to set MyButton.Name to
> "Schließenbutton" and get an error message "Komponentenname
> Schließenbutton ist kein gültiger Bezeichner".

Using characters above ascii 127 in a multiplatform environment such as
Lazarus and FPC means looking for troubles. Such is not the case for
Delphi which is limited to the Windows platform (and manages to make a
mess with character encoding even there, BTW).

Any simple text editor can convert your "Schließenbutton" to
"Schliessenbutton" (and your "kein gültiger" into "kein gueltiger", if
you like), which are perfectly readable by any German reader and do not
cause any subsequent trouble.

As a side note, to play music you need to learn a number of Italian
words, because of the prevalence of Italian composers and performers in
the past centuries.
To write computer programs you need to manage some basic English for
pretty much the same reasons.

Just my 2 cents.

Giuliano