[Lazarus] German umlauts in component names

Dennis dec12 at avidsoft.com.hk
Fri Apr 8 11:29:19 CEST 2016

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 2016-04-02 14:38, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
>> On 2016-04-02 13:16, Santiago A. wrote:
>>> similar should be done. You would need to make compulsory a command in
>>> source code to tell which code set is using.
>>
>> As a contract programmer I already struggle working on code where
>> identifiers, Class names, methods, code comments etc are written in
>> non-English [I fully agree its their right to do so, as it is not
>> feasible to think everybody can speak or write English]. But adding
>> different character sets to the mix will massively increase that hurdle.
>
> I used to strictly oppose non-english code as well. A colleague
> actually managed
> to convince me that there are indeed reasons for "localized" identifiers:
> in some projects the customers (usually with some industrial
> background) have pretty
> specific wordings or use of the language. If developers now start
> introducing
> their own wording (due to translating back and forth) you complicate the
> communication and synchronization between business unit and
> development team.
> In such special cases I now "accept" said code style. (Although I
> still don't
> like it ;-))

I think those gains will be  limited in scope but the disadvantages are
too huge for the general users.
Imagine relaxing this requirement, there will probably be new
codes/libraries using non-english identifiers and if they become popular
later, a lot of end users might be forced to use these non-english
libraries.

e.g. if a hash library A uses a non-english identifier for a library to
honour the Thai name of the scholar who invented it.
Then an encryption or communication library B uses this library A.
If this library B later becomes popular or a standard, all end users
using B will need setup their development environment to support
non-english identifiers, although only one of the many hash functions in
A has non-english identifiers.

I am chinese myself. I cannot even type a Thai identifier, I will then
have to copy and paste the identifier.  I could also easily confuse one
Thai identifier from another one.
Imagine if I write a library with Chinese identifiers, most users won't
able to tell apart 2 Chinese identifiers.
e.g.
procedure 賣; {means SELL}
begin
end;