[Lazarus] PDF generator: please test

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Apr 10 10:23:34 CEST 2016

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Dmitry Boyarintsev wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 3:15 AM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org
>> wrote:
>
> It feels like, these two paragraphs:
>

>> The user of the API should not have to care what font is used.
>> the API should do whatever is necessary to emit correct PDF for the
>> current font.
>>
>> If internally there are different calls needed for different fonts, then
>> that is OK, but they should not be exposed to the user, at the best they
>> should be made protected.
>> (if need be, we can expose them later)
>>

> contradict to:
>

>> If the currently used font does not contain the necessary glyphs to
>> represent
>> the text, we will not check it, that is the responsability of the user.

No, why ? One is about encoding of the supplied text.

The other about whether the current font has the necessary glyphs to render
the text.

> The APIs should either do the font-substitution  (with whatever level  of
> control from the user side). (something what graphic APIs are doing for
> text rendering)
> or should not do them at all (leaving full font-substitution to the user)

The latter. KISS (keep it simple, stupid) is my motto.

Font substitution is a potentially huge subject.
I would not want this in the initial low-level API.

But I agree with you that additional apis for this can be very useful and
should be put on the todo list.

Michael.