[Lazarus] Using libjpeg

Sandro Cumerlato sandro.cumerlato at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 20:46:53 CEST 2016

Hello Ara,

On 18 April 2016 at 16:02, Aradeonas <aradeonas at operamail.com> wrote:

> Thanks.
> I will test it.

Is there any particular reason that you didnt use official release?

I find convenient to use prebuilt binaries from the mingw-w64/msys2
toolchain, especially when I have to use several libraries within the same
project.

Why there is much difference? It seems I miss something!

>From README-turbo.txt:

libjpeg-turbo includes two APIs that can be used to compress and decompress
JPEG images:

  TurboJPEG API:  This API provides an easy-to-use interface for compressing
  and decompressing JPEG images in memory.  It also provides some
functionality
  that would not be straightforward to achieve using the underlying libjpeg
  API, such as generating planar YUV images and performing multiple
  simultaneous lossless transforms on an image.  The Java interface for
  libjpeg-turbo is written on top of the TurboJPEG API.

  libjpeg API:  This is the de facto industry-standard API for compressing
and
  decompressing JPEG images.  It is more difficult to use than the TurboJPEG
  API but also more powerful.  The libjpeg API implementation in
libjpeg-turbo
  is both API/ABI-compatible and mathematically compatible with libjpeg v6b.
  It can also optionally be configured to be API/ABI-compatible with
libjpeg v7
  and v8 (see below.)

There is no significant performance advantage to either API when both are
used
to perform similar operations.

> Regards,
> Ara

Turbo demo binaries for both win32 and win64 are available at:
http://www.djmaster.com/freepascal/demos/turbo.php

Best regards,
Sandro Cumerlato