[Lazarus] Lazarus on my ancient computer?

Sun Feb 14 18:22:54 CET 2016

On 2016-02-14 14:14, Bart wrote:
> So, do you have tips on which Linux flavour to install on this machine?

Choices, choices... Mine would be FreeBSD (or even PC-BSD) with JWM
(Joe's Window Manager - this only requires 8MB to run). I've installed
my FreeBSD when 9.0 came out and kept it up to date with every release,
all the way to 10.1 and it is still running rock solid. Uptimes are
always around 3-4 months, until I do routine [physical] cleaning of the
box (dust etc). You can install any libraries you want with 'pkg install
xxx' or via FreeBSD's ports system. The "pkg" tool will do library
dependency resolution for you - just like Linux's apt-get or yum. For
file management I prefer Midnight Commander (console) and PCManFM (GUI)
- both very light on resources. For image viewing I use Eye of Mate or
Geeqie - the latter is really nice, and again every light on resources.
I run nVidia's drivers which gives excellent performance, but the open
source Intel, AMD and nVidia drivers are okay too. Sound and things like
VLC works perfectly for watching TV episodes, or recording desktop
screen casts etc.

If you want a more bloated "desktop environment" system (thus uses much
more resources with little benefit), then simply install Mate (what used
to be Gnome 2) or KDE.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/