[Lazarus] Lazarus on my ancient computer?

silvioprog silvioprog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 20:10:13 CET 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 12:14 PM, leledumbo <leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id>
wrote:

> > So, do you have tips on which Linux flavour to install on this machine?

[...]

> Anything with a WM instead of DE. I suggest Manjaro as it's Arch rolling
> release philosophy managed under Debian style package repository
> versioning,
> try the Fluxbox, JWM or PekWM flavour from here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/community/

+1.

Bart,

I have two basic machines, both with 1.2 GHz CPU and 2 GB RAM. In the first
one, I have installed Xubuntu, that's a very light OS, but after replace it
with Manjaro with XFCE [1], I noticed that the machine never crashes, and I
don't got more problems with broken dependencies as I had with DEBs.

In the second machine I replaced Linux Mint with Manjaro (with XFCE too),
and Manjaro is as light as Mint, however IMHO Majaro's GUIs are more
intuitive and clear than Mint.

Some days ago I tested Manjaro with KDE, and I'm suprised with its GUI
quality and stability, probable I'll replace the Windows 10 (I need it to
use Delphi Seattle here in the company) of my development machine to use
Manjaro KDE, moving Windows to a VM.

But I have a personal suggestion: try to test at least three popular Linux
distributions, I tried six (*Ubuntu[I hate Unity], Fedora[nice, but...],
openSUSE[very nice, but hard for my environment], FreeBSD[very fast for my
environment, but...], CentOS[nothing to declare] and ArchLinux[perfect with
Manjaro customizations]) in a VM with same reqisities of my two real basic
machines, so the VM showed me a similar scennario of the real environment,
and this test helped me a lot to choose the ideal distribution for my real
machines.

Good luck! :-)

ps. Take a look at this two pictures [2][3], there is Lazarus running on
Manjaro KDE. In my case it prefer to install it from a package manager
instead of using external third party scripts, and in Manjaro I just did "#
pacman -S lazarus-qt" to install FPC 3.0.0 and Lazarus Qt 1.4.4.

[1] https://manjaro.github.io/
[2] https://img42.com/B9Y5b
[3] https://img42.com/U3hnt

--