[Lazarus] TApplication.UpdateMainForm

Thu Feb 18 11:53:34 CET 2016

On 2016-02-18 10:25, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
> So this is wanted and by design. It is also coming from Delphi.

>From what I remember (Delphi 7 and earlier), any TCustomXXX is used for
descendants and component writers. The "final" class without the
"custom" part in the name is simply a empty class, but with the
properties Published.

I know the Delphi form designer used TForm for descendants - I always
thought that to be wrong (from a design point of view). I understand why
Delphi did that though - to overcome the Delphi Form Designer
limitations, where it uses RTTI get read and set properties, and thus
needs published properties.

TApplication is not a component you can drop on a form though, so should
not be grouped with the same limitations as the Delphi Forms Designer.

My argument is exactly the same as why many components use TStrings as a
property parameter, instead of TStringList.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/