[Lazarus] Keys not recognized by Lazarus 1.6 code editor

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 17:09:33 CET 2016

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:00:42 +0000, Martin Frb <lazarus at mfriebe.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/2016 13:10, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> I have discovered a strange problem with my Lazarus 1.6 release
>>> installation on RPi2 (Raspbian Jessie) concerning keyboard entries.
>>>
>>> When I connect via VNC from my Windows7 PC I can not enter the
>>> characters < or + via the keyboard keys into the Lazarus code editor.
>>>
>> http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=17820
>>
>> I dont know if the issue is in the LCL, or in VNC.
>> Apparently the data received from VNC does only occur with VNC. Other
>> app may not have the issue, may simply mean that they do not check this
>> particular part of the data, independent of its correctness
>
> Too bad then....
> I looked at the VNC client settings but there is nothing about the
> keyboard. Obviously I could wire the Pi up to my monitor and hook up a
> different keyboard and mouse for it and work that way. But it is
> inconvenient since I then lose all of the normal activity on my Win7
> desktop plus the ability to copy/paste between the windows.

I'd expect the VNC client to use the keyboard etc. settings on that
computer.

> And I don't have the multiple display setup that Graeme and Mark is
> currently discussing on the fpc-other mail lits....

Not really relevant, that's more to do with making it look as though
multiple screens are attached to the same computer than anything else.

> Maybe skipping VNC in favour of X could be a solution? But I tried
> that when starting with the RPi2 dev system back in October and could
> never even understand how it worked let alone find suitable software
> for my Wind7 X64 laptop to work as an X server....

I answered that at some point.

> Or understand how the Raspbian desktop would land on the Win7 X
> screen. :(

Who cares provided it works?

> I will go to the RPi forum and ask people there about setting up X for
> this purpose.

As I've said multiple times before, you'd do best tunneling one app over
SSH rather than putting the entire desktop over [any of several ways of
doing it]. You might find this easiest if you investigated an X11-based
system o your desktop, rather than Windows... at least while you're
working out what's possible and what suits your working arrangements.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk