[Lazarus] IDE Desktops redesign

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 08:04:46 CET 2016

Ondrej, a couple of questions.

Do you plan to tackle the incorrect layout restore problem with docked
layouts? Issue #29200

Do you plan to provide a better default layout, or management of default
layouts? Currently when you install anchor docking the first layout you are
given is essentially broken. There ought to be a usable default layout for
all modes, docked and undocked.

Do you plan to fix the problem with environment xml version upgrades wiping
out layouts? So far anytime I get the message to upgrade the options (based
on option version numbers changing) all my layouts are wiped out including
toolbar buttons.

While were at it, would it be possible to add a layout option for all
TToolbars in the IDE to either A) show captions and icons, B) show icons
only or C) show text only, and resize the toolbars appropriately? See
http://video.getlazarus.org/small-toolbars.mp4
<http://cache.getlazarus.org/videos/small-toolbars.mp4>

And finally, I'd be careful with auto saving layouts. In the past I've had
problems where the layouts get corrupted and auto save essentially
destroyed my layouts as a result. Sometimes I want to save a layout
manually and I do not want the IDE to overwrite it in the event I
experience a layout corruption.