[Lazarus] Can I build a Lazarus GUI program only with fpc installed?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 09:09:37 CET 2016

If I install only fpc is it then possible to build a GUI program from
sources without also installing Lazarus (on Linux target)?

Say that I have a simple GUI program that is imported in Lazarus from
Delphi7 by using the import tool in Lazarus on a Linux platform.
It builds and runs OK on that platform.

Then I have a need to compile on another linux platform (different CPU
etc) but do not want to/am able to install Lazarus there but fpc is
available. Can I transfer the sources to that platform and then build
on the command line somehow?

I have tried to find info on this on the web but what I find is very
condensed and hard to understand....

The steps I thought of would be something like this:

apt-get install fpc
apt-get install (long list of dependencies for lazarus)
transfer sources (5-10 files) to ~/projects/code
cd ~/projects/code
issue command to build program

But what would that command look like?
Or is lazarus necessary to build a fpc GUI program (as opposed to a
command line program)?

I have seen talk about the fpc.conf file used to set some options, but
there is a global such file in /etc and I do not see how one must
change that for each project to build...
Whatever needed as source info should be in the project dir or on the
command line, right?

Or can a makefile be generated in the system where the program is
created and used on the target system without Lazarus?
If so, how?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden