[Lazarus] Is porting Delphi program using AsyncPro to fpc/laz possible?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:09:52 CET 2016

I have a device comm simulation program created in Delphi 7 (or maybe
2007), which uses TurboPower Async Pro components for the serial and
TCPIP communications. It is used for production testing and also for
development purposes. On Windows of course....

Now I would like to port this to the Raspberry Pi environment so the
simulator could be placed in a small package and replicated easily.
Since it is Delphi I thought about FPC and Lazarus as the obvious
destination.
I have ported some other simple GUI programs using the tools built
into Lazarus with no real big problems, but those used only standard
Delphi components.

Now I am not sure if it is even possible to port the AsyncPro serial
components to fpc...

I use the TApdWinsockPort which implements an *event driven* serial
comm port, which can switch between serial and sockets communications.
The incoming data are dealt with in the OnTriggerAvail event.
So these are the only specific items used by me, but obviously in the
background there are a whole lot of things going on...
I tried to trace the tree of used units starting from the
TApdWinsockPort and it just grows and grows. Seems like a project I
could not do on my own.

Has anyone here tried/succeeded?
If so is there some web resource that describes how it is done?

Or is there some other way to accomplish the task?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden