[Lazarus] bad luck

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Fri Jan 29 21:10:42 CET 2016

Hi,

I really had some bad luck today. When starting Lazarus it worked
normally first. Then I created a new unit, saved it having an
appropriate name, typed in a class definition without any fields or
methods and Hit CTRL-F9. That was the moment when my computer freezed
for a while, say 30 seconds, and rebooted.

Afterwards Lazarus' configuration was hosed, the open projects .lpi was
unreadable, .lpi.bak, .lpr and .lpr.bak were zero length. The file
system had a lot of errors.

I think the crash could be triggered by the fact that I have a  new,
freshly cleaned and compiled Lazarus 1.4.4 and fpc 3.0.0 because I had
to upgrade the compiler lastly for some reason. The projects object
files may be new or old, but some other dependencies will relatively
sure be old files from fpc 2.6.4.

OK, shit happens, but I wished there would be less destruciton in work
files. It is possible to care for keeping files, I know since I had to
program a system prone to spontaneous reboots to keep files under any
circumstances and in the end it worked.

I had sth. similar once when running the debugger quite often and having
to stop in the middle of the program for a source change. That made my
computer fail similarly, destroying files.

Where in Lazarus sources are the spots handling file opening and saving
when hitting CTRL-F9? Or do I need to look at the compiler, too?

And, maybe someone having enough knowledge can explain a bit aournd
these spot?

TIA,
Marc

--