[Lazarus] Cross Platform SQL Client/Editor

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Jan 2 10:38:57 CET 2016

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Anthony Walter wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I don't want a "visual" table builder and I'm unsure how many others do.

I don't want a visual table builder either, where did you see that
functionality ?

If you are referring to the data dictionary:
this is not the only part of the desktop.

> All I want is something to connect me to a database engine where I can then
> execute bits of SQL (it executes what you highlight), which is what my
> program does.

This is what the database desktop also does.

> Lazarus database desktop seems geared towards everything I don't want. I
> don't see MSSQL support.

That is a matter of including the mssql unit.
It didn't exist at the time the database desktop was written.

> I don't want to setup ODBC DSNs, I just want a straight MSSQL connection.

You will have it. You don't need to set up ODBC at all ?

> I don't see an simple create/test connection screen.

Eh ? What do you see under the 'Connections' menu ?

> Right clicking in a blank list view to get a menu and then
> selecting an option is just bad design.

See above.

> Straight off I don't see a SQL
> editor either.

Of course not, you need a connection first.
Then you'll jump straight to the sql editor.

The sql editor is no good without a connection.

> So I think you'll understand why I don't want to use Lazarus database

No, I honestly don't. I do understand from what you write that you didn't
investigate very deeply.

> desktop, and no I don't want to improve it. I'd rather have a stand alone
> program for anyone to use on any platform which can connect to MSSQL (or
> MySQL) and let you edit and execute SQL. And finally I don't see the point
> of using the Lazarus moniker for such a tool.

Sure, suit yourself.

That is the despair and frustration of Open source: everybody suits himself.

The Database tool is committed to the lazarus SVN in the hope that people
will improve on it. Its design may be improved. I am aware the design is
not intuitive, but there is simply a historical reason for the current
design. It is not set in stone, far from it.

We cannot do everything outselves:
- Create basic functionality in rtl/fcl/lcl
- Fix bugs
- Create documentation
- Create useful tools
- Provide help on mailing lists

If everyone shoots off at yet another tangent instead of improving what
exists, no progress is made.

Please do not take this as a token that I do not appreciate your efforts,
but it is very frustrating to see the wheel being reinvented 100 times over.

Michael.