[Lazarus] Installation under SUSE

Gordon Findlay gfindlay.linux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 04:00:58 CET 2016

Suse Leap (I no longer have and OpenSuse 13 machines) seems to call the
required packages

gtk2-devel
cairo-devel
pango-devel
gdk-pixbuf-devel
atk-devel
ghc-X11-devel

Most likely install commands such as

  zypper install gtk2-devel

would be fine, but much depends on the way repositories set up. On this
machine there are (too) many repositories, and much more time is spent
updating metadata rather than installing.

To test for a package being installed I always use rpm, in a naive way:

    rpm -qa | grep gtk2-devel

which is slower than it needs to be, but installing Lazarus is not done
very often.

Incidentally I ran the script from getlazarus.org on two Leap installations
a few days ago. The first one went swimmingly; the second one failed as the
make of lazbuild failed. I never located quite what was the problem: to
save time I just copied the installation that worked.