[Lazarus] Do we really need a PaintSwastika procedure?

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Fri Jan 8 11:01:49 CET 2016

Juha,

Well said. This clearly came from the heart. It is not important as to
whether or not I agree with what you have said. What is important is
that you have and have exercised the right of free speech and that is
what this is all about. Free speech may not include the "right to shout
fire in a crowded theatre", but it does and should include the right to
offend.

Totalitarian regimes whether they be Fascist or Communist fear free
speech more than anything else and it is our strongest weapon against
them. It should never be compromised.

If anyone has any doubts about whether or not the whole precept of this
thread is wrong then they need only to take a look at  "The Stoning"
sketch from Monty Python's Life of Brian. Here we have a man being
stoned to death for simply saying that "that Halibut was fit for
Jehovah". The context was irrelevant. The mere fact that he said
"Jehovah" was enough to condemn him. There then follows sketch of total
farce whether anyone who makes the mistake of referring to the fact that
he said "Jehovah" is themselves stoned.

That sketch is almost a modern parable because it is telling us that
it's not the word or symbol that is important. It is the context in
which it is used.

If a Hindu uses a PaintSwastika procedure to print out a religious tract
then what is the problem? On the other hand if some silly kid uses it to
print out a offensive poster, etc. etc. then they only make themselves
look stupid and ignorant and, in the worst case, there are laws to
handle this. Either way, blaming Lazarus for the allowing the second
case is denying the right of the first to pursue their lawful business
and is just basically wrong.

And worse: you are on the slippery slope to proposing that English is
replaced by a language called Newspeak where it is impossible to utter
or think an heretical thought.

Let's end this double plus ungood quackspeak.

Good day

Tony Whyman