[Lazarus] New menu designer. which style do you prefer?

Howard hdpc at talktalk.net
Mon Jan 11 21:36:24 CET 2016

On 11/01/2016 16:07, Anthony Walter wrote:
> Very nice. I like the new design.
>
> Side note: Who wrote that FScroller for the new menu editor? It acts
> very erratic for me on Gtk2. I don't know about on other widget sets.
> See issue 29369. Why not use TScrollBox or make TShadowMenu a
> TScrollingWinControl?

I wrote it. It is definitely the weakest part of the new designer. I
hate to reinvent the wheel. However, I could not get a TScrollBox
container to work correctly for TShadowMenu, perhaps because its size
calculation and painting is rather non-standard. Whatever the reason I
was unable to get a TScrollBox container to respond correctly to
TShadowMenu size changes when there were more than a screenful of menuitems.
I'm honestly not sure if the best approach to sorting it out is to mend
(or rewrite) FScroller, or to figure out a way for TScrollBox to parent
TShadowMenu correctly. I did not try making TShadowMenu a
TScrollingWinControl descendant. Perhaps that would be a better option.
What would others advise?

Howard