[Lazarus] Testing Unicode and Windows system codepage in Lazarus 1.6

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 19:48:21 CET 2016

Jürgen and taazz,
The DisableUTF8RTL system indeed is a fall-back for people who cannot
use the new improved UTF-8 system.
The automatic encoding conversion may do tricks when you still must do
explicit conversion to/from UTF-8 using the old clumsy functions.
I don't know about all the issues involved. I don't plan to use it
myself. It is not part of my interest. The wiki page explaining it
should be improved and maintained by people who actually use the
system which means Jürgen, taazz, michl and others.
Now the wiki page has too few examples.

My interest has been the new UTF-8 system. It works much better than I
could imagine.
Anybody who plans now to move their code to Lazarus 1.6, please try to
isolate Windows codepage conversions into functions. UTF-8 then works
automatically like magic outside of those functions.

Juha