[Lazarus] Is porting Delphi program using AsyncPro to fpc/laz possible?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 11:38:37 CET 2016

Michael Schnell wrote:

>  - Once the appropriate data is collected you *create* a "transfer
> object" (an instance of a transfer class that allocates and includes
> buffer for the data (not just a pointer if the buffer could be reused by
> the thread !

That of course is a significant issue. I've written "bare metal" stuff
which moved data around like that with lots of consistency checking
which meant it was robust. OTOH "real" OSes tend to move pointers around
with minimal hardware protection against overrun etc. when a pointer
somehow gets moved outside its (ring) buffer.

I wonder whether using something reference counted would be a useful
compromise here.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk