[Lazarus] Package editor in Lazarus 1.6

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Jan 25 20:53:15 CET 2016

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016, Juha Manninen wrote:

> Forgot to write earlier...
>
> The package editor has been improved in RC2.
> See this + its related issues :
>  http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=28097
> The changes were partly inspired by ideas from Michael Van Canneyt and others.
> See this mail thread :
> http://free-pascal-lazarus.989080.n3.nabble.com/Lazarus-Package-dialog-tt4041400.html#none
> [^]
>
> Opinions?
>
> I did not understand the request for a better editor of requirements.
> IMO they can be edited very well now.

>From my point of view, there are still 2 issues:

First
-----

Requirements must still be added one at a time; The requirement dialog shows a dropdown.
I usually have lots of requirements. It would be better to have a checklistbox where
I can simply check all required packages instead of having to add them one by one.

I have easily 10-12 dependencies. Now it is
- click open the dropdown next to "add"
- select "New requirement"
- Dialog pops up, in dialog select new requirement in combobox.
   There are 180 (!!) packages in the dropdown, it takes a while to select from them.
   (lots start with laz, requiring you to type 4 or 5 letters before a meaningful choice pops up)
- Click ok.
That's a lot of clicking if you must do this 12 times for a new project and/or package.

It would be much easier if, in the dialog, I could select multiple required packages
by setting a check mark in a checklistbox. As soon as an item is selected/checked, the
min/max version checkboxes/edits can appear enabled to the right of the listbox.

Second
------
If you select a required package in the package dialog, the bottom of the
package dialog shows the min/max required version. This is easy to change it.

In the project dialog, if you select a required package, there is no way to
set the min/max required version. You must delete the requirement, and add
it again, because only during the add you can specify the version.
It would be nice to offer the same functionality as in the package dialog.

As an aside:

I also think it would be nice if the min/max versions were simply shown in
the package tree.

Something like:

laz_fpspreadsheet (>=1.0.0 and <=2.0.0)

But this is a minor issue.

Anyway, I hope the above descriptions are clear. I don't expect these issues
to be addressed in 1.6, but just mention them to say that there is still
lots of room for improvement :-)

Michael.