[Lazarus] bad luck

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Fri Jan 29 22:54:00 CET 2016

On Fr, 2016-01-29 at 21:21 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Marc Santhoff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I really had some bad luck today. When starting Lazarus it worked
> > normally first. Then I created a new unit, saved it having an
> > appropriate name, typed in a class definition without any fields or
> > methods and Hit CTRL-F9. That was the moment when my computer freezed
> > for a while, say 30 seconds, and rebooted.
> >
> > Afterwards Lazarus' configuration was hosed, the open projects .lpi was
> > unreadable, .lpi.bak, .lpr and .lpr.bak were zero length. The file
> > system had a lot of errors.
>
> Good /God/ man, is that all? I opened this expecting to find that a
> member of the community was in real trouble (frankly, the sort of thing
> I was almost in over the last week).

It's enough. Costs me hour of frustrating work recreating anything,
doing nothing fruitful. Moreover I'm sitting on a time bomb, because I
really do not know, what other files may have been damaged. Last time
this happened I had some failures in other software that was detected
weeks(!) after the incident.

So, what know? Taken seriously I have to restore the complete system and
data from backup.

Seems I deserved some trouble because I'm not running development tools
on a dedicated machine or inside a virtual environment...

> What OS are you running, and how much privilege had you given yourself?

FreeBSD 9, simple user having sudo privilges but nothing run as root or
by sudo. The session was the same as ever - besides Lazarus.

> Frankly, I think the suggestion that Lazarus /might/ have caused a
> system crash is more serious than the discovery that a system crash
> probably corrupted files.

You're right. That's why I told the story as introduction.

What I asked for is help locating and understanding Lazarus' file
handling. Some standard errors like unneccessarily holding files open
when not in use can be avoided easily.

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>