[Lazarus] GTK 3.0

Erwin van den Bosch erwin at deseine.nl
Tue Jul 12 11:57:44 CEST 2016

Op 12-7-2016 om 4:11 schreef Kostas Michalopoulos:
> Sadly the GTK+ devs do not seem to care much about backwards
> compatibility and love to break stuff every other version.
>
> Check this blog post which summarizes the issues
> https://davmac.wordpress.com/2016/07/05/why-do-we-keep-building-rotten-foundations/
>
> IMO GTK+ 2 is the last good GTK+ version and hopefully someone (maybe
> the MATE devs) will fork it and add support for the needed stuff. GTK+
> 3.0+ is not reliable.

I have read enough! Forget GTK3 (and GTK4).

Quote: "Meanwhile, Gtk 4.0 will not be the final stable API of what we
would call “Gtk 4”. Each 6 months, the new release (Gtk 4.2, Gtk 4.4,
Gtk 4.6) will break API and ABI vs. the release that came before it."

I was considering helping to implement the GTK 3 widget set in Lazarus
but after some studies and reading I think we might better put our
energy in the QT 5 implementation.

After 32 years of graphical desktops on Unix we still have no stable
widget set! :-(