[Lazarus] TStringList.LoadFromFile encoding parameter

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jul 12 12:06:33 CEST 2016

On 07/12/2016 10:09 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> supporting Unicode, which can be switched off.

This is exactly what I asked but got no answer I could understand.

I understand that by an RTL variable I can set the code page new strings
are constructed to use.

I understand that TStringList.LoadFromFile will work as expected (if the
file to be loaded comes in the same encoding).

But this is FPC. Will Lazarus be able to cope with that ? Obviously the
GUI interface in the LCL still will need to provide the correct encoding
(supposedly UTF-8 with Linux and UTF16 with Windows) towards the
external GUI infrastructure.

-Michael