[Lazarus] Target Survey

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jul 20 11:35:18 CEST 2016

On 07/19/2016 05:31 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Many of fpGUI's standard components are much faster than LCL or VCL
> equivalents,...
I am astonished to hear that, because up to now I thought that fpGUI
("drawing" a lot of the more complex stuff in Pascal code) would
necessarily be slower than a library that links to a complex external
graphical framework, that is OS and graphics driver aware and hence
should be able to make use of the underlying system in a more optimized
way.

As you might know I plan to enhance the "NoGui" Widget Type to allow for
a standard main thread event queue, including standard usage of TTimer,
TThread.Synchronize, TThread.Queue and friends. This already does work,
but is not published as the project currently is stalled due to the
usual "lack of available time" problem.

In a second step, I intend to do the basics for a "remote GUI" on top of
that. Options here are "ifi" (invented by Martin, and already working in
MSE: a dedicated program that shows the GUI of a remote program
connected via a bidirectional byte stream), or a JavaScript based remote
HTML GUI to allow for a "smart Web" application. As a base for this, I
think, stealing the code of  either of "FPGUI" or "CustomDrawn" might
make sense.

Do you think FpGUI is more appropriate  ?

Thanks,
-Michael