[Lazarus] PDF generator

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Mar 5 19:52:21 CET 2016

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016, Martok wrote:

> Nice work! Certainly comes just in time as I'm looking at PDF libraries for the
> next work-related project.
>
>> - On windows (possibly mac), allow to use native font mechanisms for extracting info from TTF files.
> Would using freetype/freetype2 make more sense? There are native implementations
> in the CCR and the freetype2 library interface is surprisingly simple as well.

Well, I didn't want to use external libraries.

I have no idea of the state of Freetype in CCR.
Last time I checked it, it was totally incomprehensible and hopelessly outdated code.
But I certainly may be wrong there, although a quick look at e.g. ttfile.pas
is not exactly encouraging.

But nothing prevents the use of these libraries: since we need to 'abstract'
out the relevant functionality anyway for the Windows OS, a kind of
manager/driver approach such as used in other parts of the RTL is a definite possibility.

(On windows, the OS itself provides these functions, the situation is different there)

Contributions in this area are definitely welcome.

Michael.