[Lazarus] how to search in files but skip commented text

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Tue Mar 8 11:55:06 CET 2016

On 08/03/2016 10:28, Dennis wrote:
> When source files become big, the search function becomes very important.
> Does anyone share my desire for the Search function in Lazarus to be
> smart enough to skip those commented out texts?
>
> I often comment out a portion of the source files before permanently
> deleting it (after I am really sure the new code is better than the
> old ones).
>
> I hope the IDE will one day be smart enough to skip those commented text.
>
> Also, sometimes I use meaningful english words as my routine and
> variable names. A search on those names will then also return those
> words in my commented txt.

You can use find identifier references. IIRC that can skip comments. But
it also skips identifiers of the same name, if they are not the same
(e.g a field of equal name defined in a different class, or local var)

Another method with similar results, is to add "deprecated 'find me';"
to the identifier you are interested, and compile.