[Lazarus] Default keymapping adapted to OS X

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Mar 14 12:03:14 CET 2016

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:07:44 +0200
Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I applied the patch from here:
>   http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=28658
>
> It adds a new key mapping for OSX:
>   "Default adapted to OS X"
>
> Now there are 3 mappings for OSX and only 2 for other systems. It is
> unproportional. Should one of the old modes be removed?
> Mac users, what do you say? I don't use Mac myself.

Many F keys are by default used by OS X itself. For instance, F3 and F4
control volume, F9-F11 are used by Expose.
If you want to use the Windows/Linux scheme on OS X you either
a) have to use the fn key and change System Preferences /
  Keyboard / Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features.
b) or add some useful secondary key for each blocked F shortcut.

I don't know anyone who wants the Windows/Linux (Lazarus default)
scheme under OS X without Ctrl-Meta mapping. If a Mac user chooses the
Windows/Linux scheme it should be the Ctrl-Meta mapped. No need to add a
separate scheme for that.

The name "Default adapted to OS X" is wrong, because the "Default"
under OS X is the "Apple Style" scheme.

Maybe it would be better to change the scheme captions:
*Lazarus (inspired by Delphi)
*Classic (inspired by Turbo Pascal)
*Mac OS X (Apple Style)
*Mac OS X (Lazarus Style)

And the schemes need an explanation (e.g. ShowHint). For example the
"Lazarus" and "Classic" should give the hint about "System Preferences
/ ...".

If there are no objections I can do that.

Mattias