[Lazarus] LCL exports CC-licensed icons to every LCL application

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 11:11:00 CET 2016

Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
> Corresponding issue report: http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29869
>
> Every LCL application includes icons (at least) from the famfamfam (Silk
> icon set) that are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.5/3.0
> license.
> As a result every LCL application that does not acknowledge them, breaks
> the CC license.
> LCL is advertised as "(L)GPL licensed with static linking exception",
> which is not true because the LCL includes CC-licensed icons.
>
> The Lazarus team will solve the issue for 1.6.2. We'll try to get a
> license exception for LCL applications. If we don't get this exception
> all CC-licensed icons will be removed from the LCL and will be replaced
> by public-domain icons.
>
> For now, please take into consideration that your LCL application must
> acknowledge the Silk Icon Set http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/ .

Looking at this a different way, could the TApplication object have
provision (not necessarily enabled by default) for displaying a splash
form which either had a default set of acknowledgements embedded or
could gather them from packages etc.?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk