[Lazarus] Having multiple Lazarus like GetLazarus version

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Mar 24 16:04:36 CET 2016

On 24/03/2016 14:35, Aradeonas wrote:

>     The recommende way is and has always been to use the
>     --pcp=path/to/config commandline parameter.
>     Why do you insist that it must be done in another way?
>     Why can you simpy use the mechanismes we have provided for just that?
>
>     If you don want a shortcut (why???) then just start it from the
>     console (as i do with lazarus fixes branch).
>
> Ok. One simple reason I dont like to make shortcut with custom
> parameter with my apps and one good reason for that is, Windows
> Taskbar that you can pin apps dont accept parameters so if you pin you
> Lazarus that runs with parameters and next time click on icon on
> taskbar it will open but keep another shortcut on Taskabr.
> It is annoying for someone likes me that like to keep my stuff organized.
> Second reason is Im curious, everytime I saw shortcut way for running
> multiple reason and it seems there is a better reason out there and Im
> a programmer I like to find a better way and when I cant I ask from
> others.
> Originally I should ask @Anthony about his works but it seems he
> refuse answering or supporting about his works so I ask here for
> future needs of others like me.

That is what the lazarus.cfg file is for.

Instead of supplying the parameters fer --pcp, you put them into the cfg
file.

lazarus.exe, when started, looks for a lazarus.cfg file in the same
folder as the exe. If found it adds the content to its command line
params. (one per line).

so if you have
c:\lazarus   installation of 1.6, should use config in the default location
c:\laz_trunk   needs different config

then you add
c:\laz_trunk\lazarus.cfg
with the --pcp param you need.

And with that you can start c:\laz_trunk\lazarus.exe anyway you want, it
will use the pcp given in the cfg file.