[Lazarus] Having multiple Lazarus like GetLazarus version

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:25:56 CET 2016

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:51:54 +0000, Martin Frb <lazarus at mfriebe.de>
wrote:

>Of course there is no installer for trunk. So when you get the sources,
>you need do build your first lazarus.exe (you can use make and the
>makefile, I never tried).
>If you copy a lazarus.exe from another install, that is when you get
>warnings. But rebuild it once, and that is it.

I have built multiple versions of Lazarus (1.6RC1, 1.6RC2, 1.6) on
Linux using FPC 3.0.0.
All were done using svn retrieved sources and after the download
finished, by entering the source dir and launch:
make bigide
Then create a config directory at $HOME/.lazarus_1.6... where the name
reflects the version of Lazarus.
Create a start menu entry where the start command is set to:
<path to lazaus>/startide --pcp=<path to config dir>

This has worked flawlessly for me in a number of installations and I
have also created a script to do all of the needed operations for
installation of FPC 3.0.0 and Lazarus 1.6 unattended on Linux
including setting up the config dir and menu entries.

The result is multiple versions of Lazarus which have to be set up
individually at first start and are isolated from each other.
Just like it is supposed to work!

I find it very simple and efficient to do when one wants for example a
stable version and a trunk version to compare.

I can't imagine that there is not a similar way for doing this on
Windows, if nothing else you can create batch files to launch your
Lazarus versions and in these include the --pcp parameter.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden